I've made a couple of changes since the last update. First, I added all of my apps to the backup, instead of just the most critical ones. The reason for this is the second change I made, and is the one I am most excited about. The 4TB Seagate Ironwolf drive now being used as a backup drive. Previously, I used the same 2TB drive the cloud storage and media server apps were being hosted on as the backup drive. This is problematic for a number of reasons, primarily that if the app drive fails, so does the drive with the backup data. Also, because the drive hosts two apps that are read/write heavy, this wears the drive and makes the backup process more risky.

With the new drive in and mounted, I tried a backup and encountered my first issue, 15Mbps transfer speeds. Now this might not sound too bad, but try to imagine transferring a max of 2TB of data with that speed. Yeah...

Time to backup 2TB of data. At 16Mbps it would take 12 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes, and 12 seconds.
Time to backup 2TB of data

Ouch... This is something I will be looking to optimize. This might be a limitation of the motherboard to be honest. One possibility is the disabling of SATA 6Gbps by using an NVMe boot drive. Another less appealing possibility is a limitation of the 2TB drive I currently have installed. This may need to be replaced by a 1TB SATA SSD to be able to serve the files to the backup drive fast enough. Either way, I have some work to do here and I'll be sure to provide updates here. By the way, progress is being made on designing the case. Stay tuned for that! ;)